Monday, October 13, 2008

Homecoming Parade

Talk about being thrown back into the routine of things ... from the minute we landed back in Texas, it's been full steam ahead with the Homecoming activities. First, Nicole needed a mum. Heath tried to convince me that the boy should buy/make her mum, but I knew I had to make one. I mean, I have been waiting 14 years for this!! Luckily, another mom reassured me that the kids liked to go to school WITH their mum whether or not their date would be giving them one. Score! Off to Michaels I went :)

It turned out great, if I do say so myself! She was concerned that she'd be the only one wearing a mum and this might be a trick played on freshman. Can you imaging being the only one wearing these obnoxious things?!? We also made Kevin, her date, a homceoming garter. She ended up wearing hers on her backpack and carried his with her most of the day. When she ran into him that afternoon, he felt bad that he hadn't bought her one :(



it was pretty long ....
That evening, we loaded up the decorated trailer and headed over to the school for the parade. This year's theme was The Olympics. Nicole's Latin Club put together this float ... at the very last minute! An hour and a half before we were suppposed to be lining up in the parking lot, I was bringing 3 other kids back to our house to put some streamers on the trailer. They dressed in togas and held frisbees painted gold as their discus, which were used to hold the candy they threw out to the crowd.


Heath gracioulsy offered to not only provide the trailer (quite an undertaking with lots of phone calls and driving to Liberty Hill to get it), but also pull it in the parade. He gets major stepdad brownie points!!

Paige and I decided to ride along ...
well, Paige was actually forced against her will ;)

Nicole with her friends from the Japanese Culture Club before the parade begins:

a few of the other floats

I'm still surprised that so many people came out to watch. Growing up in Austin, we never had parades for homecoming, but this was really cute and pretty encouraging to see the neighborhood embracing this tradition for the kids. Just another reason I'm glad we moved :)

1 comment:

Alyce said...

MUMS!
OMG, I hated wearing those cumbersome things... LOL
I'm glad Nicole liked hers! You did a GREAT job on it! :)