Saturday, October 11, 2008

Chicago Days

I am so grateful that "the Cefco wives" decided that we would all go to NACS this year! Heath was already planning his second trip to Chicago in less than 2 months, but this time I got to tag along. With a little online research and quite a few friendly suggestions, I was sure I'd have more than enough to do while he was "working". I managed to occupy most of my time on Michigan Avenue, otherwise known as the Magnificent Mile! I went to the Art Institute of Chicago (a little dissapointed that many of their wings were closed for rennovations), stood overwhelmed from the sheer variety of boots in Nordstrom's shoe department, and loved the people watching as I walked my tail off in this bustling city! This Texas girl thought the weather was fantastic ... highs in the low 70's and I only needed a light jacket at night.
The reason for our trip was the NACS - National Association of Convenience Stores - convention. Each year it moves to another city. Last year was Atlanta and next year is Vegas. This is one of the biggest trade shows I've seen. One estimate had it at 13 miles if you walked the entire thing! On the last Day, Heath paid a fortune for me to join him as a guest. I was able to get a taste, quite literally, of his work life. I ate more C-Store munchies than I thought possible, met so many people I had only heard about and walked till my feet screamed for me to stop! Before all the walking, though, I got to attend the closing session - Lance Armstrong was the guest speaker:
Here are just a few of the highlights from the other days ...
The view outside from our room: The view inside our room:
Ginos East - Chicago Deep Dish Pizza - YUM-O!

Millenium Park

The view from the top of the John Hancock building.

Sears Tower on the right

Navy Pier from the "Big John"


Proof that the shopping is indeed fabulous!
Let's just say that I fell in love with the Windy City ... well, in October!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow - you were busy seeing everything the city has to offer! And I agree - it's a shoppers heaven!