One of the stress points was finding a dress that Nicole would wear. You all know how much she despises them. She ended up shopping in my closet ;) We happened upon the navy blue bridesmaid’s dress I wore for Amy’s wedding and Nicole liked it! It met all of her criteria: dark, long, not strapless and no spaghetti straps. Perfect! I guess you really can wear them again ... or in my case, your daughter can ;)
The day before the dance, we ran over to the mall to find a pair of shoes with a slight heel (the dress was a little on the long side) and a purse she could and would carry. Payless didn’t let us down! Can you believe Nicole chose to wear heels?!?
Nicole and I spent much of the day of getting ready. We painted toenails, straightened her hair, I took in the shoulders of “the Dress”, and even put on a little makeup. All the while, I’m wondering what’s she’s done with “my” Nicole. Turns out, my tomboy cleans up pretty nice!!
When I connected with Kevin’s mom, we agreed that we would pick him up and go take pictures. Here they are at his parent's house. It was like the paparazzi found them .. don't they look terrified?
Thanh, Kevin's mom, actually was just starting to ask me if I would take them for pictures and it took all my strength not to say OKAY!!! the first time she uttered the word "pictures". Trust me, people, I tried to play it cool, but was ECSTATIC that I was going to be able to chaperone part of this date AND get to take my beloved photos. Then, of course, I had to decide where we were actually going to go. Thank you, Julie!!! She came to the rescue with what apparently was only a secret to me. We headed over to the Arboretum for said photo opp and so did every other dressed up student in the area! There were professional photographers, limos, and groups of screaming teen girls. We opted out of the “cow” pics, though. I was with Nicole & Kevin - didn’t really understand the draw. These two both played along and appeased this camera happy Mom. They smiled and smiled and he even suggested places we could try next. Nicole ditched her heels at one point to make the trek down to the pond.
Click here for full session. Here were two of my favorites :)
They actually requested the Barnes & Noble / Gamestop background
What followed next was my most favorite part of the evening. I drove them to the restaurant and Kevin’s parents were going to pick them up after they were done eating to take them to the dance. I asked if Kevin’s parents were expecting me to stay for dinner or if they even wanted me to. They both stuttered, stammered and aimed to please me and each other with their answers. Nicole finally said what was music to my ears … “What do you want to do? If you want to stay, I would like that.”
We enjoyed a very casual dinner and they chattered back and forth. I asked a few questions here and there. When the check came and I, being the adult at the table, fully expected to pay. He insisted that I not pay for him (he would "feel immoral being the guy if he didn't pay for himself") and after looking at the check, politely offered again to pay for the full check. When I refused, he said, “well at least let me pay for mine and Nicole’s”. So cute!!
Nicole came home very tired just before 1am. I now understand why kids have a curfew. I was exhausted, but it was not even possible for me to consider sleeping until I knew my kid was home and safe. I peered out the window every time I heard a car door.
There you have it … we survived our first date. The rest is downhill from here, right?!?! ;)
7 comments:
OH
MY
GAWD
What's next?!? A *sencond* date?!
Good job not falling to pieces... if Logan ever has a date, i just don't know how I'll survive... LOL
I had a smile on my face the entire time I read that blog entry. So adorable.
Yay!! The dress looks great... but wait, heels??? OMG. She looks so happy... they grow up so fast.
Great story and pictures! Nicole looked beautiful and like she had a great time!
Glad I could help with the photo location! Nicole looked beautiful and I'm glad they had a great time! And I'm glad YOU made it through her first date! :)
So sweet! :)
And any boy that age who insists on paying for dinner is a keeper in my book!
Sounds like a great first date!!!
Wow, Shaunna! first of all. . Nicole. . . GORGEOUS. I mean, I already knew that, but WOW! LOL
Secondly. . . is she allowed to date or just date at school events. . . .I cannot even imagine Hannah dating. . . my stomach is turning at the thought.
Post a Comment