Saturday, July 19, 2008

Long hair or Short hair, that is the question ...

Just before leaving for our wedding trip to Paradise, I decided that it would be a great idea to have hair extensions put in so I could have the wedding up-do of my dreams.
It took several hours to glue all this extra hair to my head, but I left the salon looking like a different person! It was amazing this transformation and I heard everything from, “wow, your hair has gotten really long!”(as if it had grown 18 inches overnight!) to being called Rapunzel. We all agreed that Ashton did a great job of matching the color to my real hair and that it looked somewhat realistic.

… and then reality set in. That much hair is a lot of work! Talk about a high maintenance change. It was about 24 hours later when I was ready to take them out. They itched and were hot …and yes, it's summer! It felt like everyone could tell this wasn’t my real hair, but looking at the pictures, I believe everyone now, that it really did look like my own hair. Here are two quick looks to commemorate the last time I may very well ever pay to have hair glued to my scalp ;)

It was about 6am the morning after my wedding, that I decided I was done. Still feeling the effects of our wedding celebration, I dragged myself to the shower to start this tedious process of removing my fake hair. The stylist had given me this oil solution that I was supposed to use to remove the glue. Turns out, it just makes the glue gooey and it doesn’t actually go anywhere. So, here I am standing in the shower, pouring oil on my head and trying to caress this goop off my scalp. After about 45 minutes of gently trying to separate the fake hair from my own, I started yanking it out. Ashton had also told me that if I removed the extensions in sections and kept them in order that I’d be able to use them again. I remembered this as I continued to yank out every last extension and threw it in a big heap. Um, yeah. Not so much! I can only laugh as I think of the poor cleaning lady that came to our room that day to find a gigantic pile of hair in the trashcan. It seriously looked like I had thrown out a small dog!

That day after, my hair was short again, but it was also an oily, gooey mess. It took me 2 days and washing my hair AT LEAST a dozen times before I was able to remove most of the oil and glue. Talk about a lot of work! Good thing it looked fabulous while it lasted ;)

Back to normal ...

5 comments:

Rose said...

And you're just beautiful!!! Anyway you see it!! :)

tigercrush said...

Wow! I was wondering how they pinned up your hair to make it look so luxerious! It was strange to see the picture of it down and realize how much longer it was. Fun experiment! Thanks for sharing the details, for our vicarious pleasure.

Courtney ;-) said...

Yes, it looked beautiful, but I'm a fan of the short hair version of Shaunna! As I told you yesterday, you are one of few that can pull the short bob off and you do it very well! Love you either way though! :)

Jill said...

long...short...doesn't matter...you're gorgeous any way you look at it! (but the long hair was sure fun to see - and made for a godd blog) ;-)

Julie said...

Well, ditto to what everyone else has said. You look fabulous with your hair long or short! I LOVED your up-do for the wedding, it was just gorgeous! And I LOVE your super cute Victoria Beckham haircut that you just got!!!