Monday, April 7, 2008

WTF?!?!

I had some of my friends from high school over for brunch on Sunday. Jennifer Richter (who will forever be Jennifer and Richter or JennRicci for short b/c we know so many Jennifers!), Cedar, Christina and her daughter, Ariana all joined me and contributed to our potluck buffet of yummy carb-filled goodies and lot of girl talk. I was pretty determined not to splurge (my dress fitting is a week from Thursday!), but I did have a few bites of those mini-quiches, the vegan cornbread and the spinach filo wraps after about 2.3 seconds in front of them. YUM-O! Oh, and let’s not forget the several drinks I had, too.

You may be wondering why such a lovely day would begin with the title above, but just as we sat down to eat, my friend Jen says, "Shaunna, what did you do with your stone?" It took me a minute to know what she was talking about, but then I looked down at my hand. Notice what’s missing folks?!?!?




Oh, yes. The diamond FELL OUT of my ring!! And there you have the WTF?!?! moment. How does that happen exactly? I jumped up out of my seat and immediately started walking around the house looking everywhere I could think that it might have fallen out, but really, I was just aimlessly walking and freaking out, repeating OMG every few seconds. I was running through over and over again the conversation in my head that I was going to have with Heath along with trying to remember everywhere that I had been that day: the grocery store, out the mailbox, doing laundry, washing my hands a MILLION times in my sink w/out a drain catch (whatever those things are called!). All I could think was “What am I going to do if I can’t find it?!?”. How exactly do I tell my fiancee that my diamond just FELL out of my ring?!? Another loud OMG only made Jennifer and Christina in the other room asked, "what did you find it?". I just yelled back, "No, I'm FREAKING OUT!!!"

My dear, sweet friends were down on their hands and knees patting through my carpet, looking all over the house with me. Cedar thought to ask me what I had done where I lifted something heavy or banged my hand and I remembered the laundry. My ring seems to catch on the edge of the washer with every load. We looked through each wet towel and shook the blankets to find nothing. Looking back now, I’m glad it was a load of towels and not bras, panties and boxers ;) Then, I looked down at the washing machine and saw this sparkle next to the bleach dispenser. Low and behold, I found my missing diamond IN the washing machine! Thank GOD I found it. Thank you, Cedar, Christina, Ariana and Jennifer for helping me look!

Now, though, my beautiful ring is IN PIECES. Two pieces, to be exact. Explain to me how in the hell that sort of thing happens. Diamonds are not supposed to just FALL OUT. I feel like Happy Gilmore talking to his golf ball about going into its hole, it’s home. Only I’m talking to my diamond engagement ring, “Diamond, don’t you want to go HOME. You belong in your ring, don’t fall out, Stay HOME, GO HOME!”

And now you know why I splurged on carbs and several drinks. I think Jenn said it best that I lost a year off my life in about 10 minutes!

Luckily, my super smart and wonderful fiancee went to Samuel's who guarantee their diamonds. Apparently, even IF I hadn't been able to find it, they would have replaced it. So, now I just have to wait until tomorrow to see my remounted ring again ... the one I love almost as much as the man who gave it to me :)

2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh wow!! Scary. . throw up moment there. I'm soooo happy you found it!!! Hugs!!

Alyce said...

I'm so glad we were able to help you look for it, and that you found it! It was truly a surreal moment when I noticed it gone!