Monday, April 28, 2008

Theatre Arts Field Trip: Six Grade Edition

I voluntarily agreed to help chaperone the Middle School trip to Fiesta Texas this weekend. Let’s take pause to notice I said “voluntarily” agreed. We met at the school at 7:45 to leave by 8am. By about 8:05, I was wondering what I had gotten myself into. Suddenly, our 9PM arrival home seemed to be a lifetime away!


Instead of ditching me the minute her friends were in sight or like I half expected her to, Paige hung with me the entire day. She did sit with her friends for the second half of the bus ride, but she started off right next to me. Don’t you remember being 12 and those day long trips to six flags?!?




We held hands, ate lunch together and she got to spend time with her classmates. I was touched that she was being affectionate, but honestly didn’t realize anything out of the ordinary till one of the other parents said, “So, you and Paige are pretty close?” We were waiting while all the kids rode one of the rides. I don’t think I had ever thought of our relationship in that way, but I’m proud to say that yes, we are :) At home, she doesn’t want anything to do with me, but out in public, she wasn’t trying to pretend I wasn’t there! These days, this is huge!


Paige even rode a roller coaster or two which surprised me and Nicole.


Some of the non-roller coast riders hung with Paige while the larger group went on the "serious" rides. Check out the carasoul pic! I'm thinking these kids might be a little too big ;)

Coincidentally, Nicole had been invited to go to Fiesta Tx with her friend, Shannon, for her birthday. Poor Shannon's birthday is at the beginning of May, which is by far the craziest month of the school year. So they celebrated early and her mom took Nicole and Shannon for a fun day at Six Flags. We ran into each other shortly after lunch and then they were gone again.

There ended up being 13 kids assigned to our group. Here are at least 11 of them in one picture. Luckily, I was one of five parents assigned to that many kids. We were fortunate to have such a great group.

All in all, it was an enjoyable day and we had a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Alyce said...

You are a brave, brave woman. So glad they didn't eat you alive!!
;)

Rose said...

That's so much fun! I remember hanging out with my mom my freshman year at Disney World. :) Great girl you have there!!! Love that carousel ride. . one of the girls looks really tired. LOL