Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lukester @ 18 months

Luke is quite the toddler these days. He took his time warming up to the idea of walking, but now he'd rather run than walk and isn't phased in the least if he trips and falls or runs into a wall. Just jump right up and keep on going ... crazy kid. He decided that just opening doors wasn't good enough and quickly discovered how to UNLOCK them, too. Our next home project is to replace every lever door knob in our home to the round kind he hasn't mastered and can easily be child proofed w/ those annoying little round plastic covers!

He is quite attached to his blankey and I must admit I'm mostly impressed that he took to the ones I made for him before he was born. Surely, he knew that they were made from so much love and that's why he naps better with them and would rather lug it around than be empty handed. Yeah .. or he just likes to hang on to something at all times. ;) Remove blanket, insert ... car, food, toy, truck, toothbrush, milk, hot wheels car... he's good. He does love his blankey, though, and I've started to call him my little Linus. You can see why ...

He's turning out to be quite a big kid. I know I talk about this often, but I'm just so amazed at his size. Nearly from day one, this kid took to food. He loves to eat, which certainly helps his cause. Then there's the fact that his dad is 6'2'' and his mom isn't the shortest girl in the crowd and well, you have a giant toddler. This morning he was 31.2 lbs on the bathroom scale and he shows no signs of stopping any time soon. If we can manage to get him well (finish this round of antibiotics for his ear infection), we'll make it to his 18 month well check to get the official weigh in, but mom's vote is 'he's huge". Luckily, on the days I miss a work out, I can just do some lunges and squats while holding him and it's quite the replacement. He thinks it's a fun game and I'm dying after a few reps ;)
His teachers at school shared a funny story not too long ago. He came home with a note that said: "Luke worked on keeping his hands to himself today". I instantly thought he was bullying other children, or was being rough so I asked if he was being mean or aggressive. The teachers told me that wasn't the case at all. Instead, he was not a fan of other kids getting in his personal space so he'd hold his hand up, arm outstretched so as to say, "Back Off" without pushing or saying a word. They followed up this by saying that other kids will be walking along and bump into my sweet baby boy without looking where they are going and they fall down to the ground and Luke would still be standing, didn't budge and just looked at them like "what just happened". Next, they said some nonesnense about him being a great football player to which I instantly changed the subject and made a mental note to teach him a few ballet moves when we got home. ;) So while he may not be bullying children in his class (let's hope not!), he certainly does give Mali a run for her money. Thankfully, she's old and with age apparently comes a willingness to just let him climb all over her, pat her to no end and constantly want to BE HER FRIEND. I am not entirely certain, but I think she only puts up with his antics because she knows he's good for food... and lots of it every single time he is in his high chair.
Beyond his size, he's definitely not a first child and while he is trying to talk, he is taking his time actually forming recognizable words or putting them together. He's assigned his sounds and "words" that we understand for a good dozen or so, but "uh, uh, uh" is taking over a his primary mode of communicating. It might not be doing him any favors that there is a Mommy, Daddy, Nicole and Paige to attend to his every need at every turn. He does love his sisters, though and says Sis and has attempted to say Nicole, which is just about the cutest thing ever. You should see his face light up when they walk in the room or jump in the car after school. It's like he was just given a gift that he's been waiting on for months. Very sweet. Here is one of my favorite pics of the three of them from New Year's Eve:
The newest development is .. well, he actually likes his mom. Surely, I'm Mom, so he loves me and acknowledges I have some value, but he has been and will always be Daddy's Boy. Serioulsy, when I ask him what my name is and he says "Da-Da", but I know he really means "Mommy, I love you so much!" Lately, though, he's been affectionate and not just the lean his back into me cuddling he does with his last milk cup of the day before bed. I mean, he really hugs me (arms AND legs) and is genuinely excited to see ME. When he's hurt, he wants me to hold him, even if his hero is the first to swoop him up. He is actually starting to like his mom. I'll take it. So what if he calls me Da-Da. ;)

1 comment:

tigercrush said...

I LOVE that pic of the three kids together. What a lucky boy Luke is! Also, I need to kiss those cheeks.