Friday, March 28, 2008

Did you know … ?


Did you know my kid is brilliant!?! Well, they both are, but at the moment, we’re talking about Nicole. She and I just got done meeting with the high school counselor at Westwood. Yes, you read “high school” correctly … Everyone take a deep breath. I think it’s going to be alright ;)

You know how when you go to a parent – teacher conference in elementary school and your kid acts all goofy in front of the teacher and you both just exchange glances while you try to ignore the bizarre behavior? I remember these sessions all too well. After about the third year this happened, I took a step outside my being mortified that this was my kid acting like a kid I don’t know and I asked the teacher if she always does this. She looked at me and said, “I’ve never seen this before”. Suddenly I realized that this was for my benefit – lucky me! In all honesty, I’m sure it was a little strange for my girls to have their home life and school life collide right in front of them, but it didn't keep me from thinking, "COME ON!!". For those of you who have yet to experience these first parent-teacher conferences, I hope I didn’t spoil the surprise, but thankfully, this stage doesn’t last long!

But I digress … Back to my brilliant kid ;) Nicole just amazed me in this meeting with the counselor. So, we’re there to pick her classes as an incoming freshman at Westwood next year and confirming that she is choosing IB classes (yippee!!), which means she will most likely be a part of the International Baccalaureate Acadamy. This mom sorta kinda forgot to turn the application in on time, but they were nice enough to accept it anyways. My groveling to multiple Westwood Administrators probably helped!

Through the course of this 30 minute meeting, Nicole is voluntarily picking these Pre-AP classes as an incoming freshmen and the entire time the counselor is telling her about each class or explaining her choices, here sits my kid. She was engaged, asked relevant questions, didn’t need me to remind her to pay attention, didn’t crack her book once and at the very end she shook the counselor’s hand and thanked her! I’m telling you… this child of mine has come a long way since those elementary conferences!

In our meeting, we also determined that she will continue her TAG math by taking TAG Algebra II along with Pre-IB/AP Biology, Pre-IB World Area Studies, Pre-IB/AP English I, Latin I, and Choir. She was talked into take a course called Study Skills because of the obvious value to learning these skills, but also because it will allow her part of her school day to work on the homework she’ll have each night. “Expect to spend a solid hour and a half EVERY day doing homework.” On top of all that, as I mentioned before she’s going to try out for both the Tennis and Swim Team this summer.

Let’s all say it together … Seriously, this kid is brilliant! ... and pretty ambitous with a little nudging from mom.

Did you know ...that after 10th grade, high school students living in Travis County can take ACC courses FOR FREE? If you live in Williamson County, they are only $40 or $45 a class. After graduating from Westwood with an IB diploma, Nicole could potentially have at least 24 college credits under her belt. That means, people, if you’re still reading, that I could have my first college graduate by the time I’m 40.

SHUT UP!! GET OUT!! O.M.G.

3 comments:

Rose said...

I am still amazed that she's old enough to be in high school. How old does that make us??? Help!!!

I'm loving keeping up with y'all!! Of course, when you read about my genius four year old. . I'm sure it will bring back memories and make you laugh. Hugs

Alyce said...

YOUR CHILD IS BRILLIANT!
Well, with a mom like you, how could she have turned out any other way?

Julie said...

Wow - that is a very impressive course load! YAY Nicole!!! And that is very cool about the free/super cheap college classes and credits! I had no idea.