Monday, November 17, 2008

I'm THAT neighbor ...

While my fellow bloggers are posting about their expanding family, new homes and poor sick kitties, I'm the one that is posting about a little dog next door. I'm the one that yells at the dog that won't stop barking. I'm sure he's cute and cuddly and I'm fairly certain his owners think he's the best watch dog ever. BUT to me? He's that annoying dog that barks nonstop .. and very loud. This back yard in question actually stretches from my livingroom, kitchen and back to my bedroom, so no matter where I am in the house, I can hear this dog sharing his words of wisdom. I'm pretty sure he's not so smart.

A few weeks back, Heath even ordered this contraption online that's the humane way to stop barking. You can set the sensitivity and it sets off a loud noise each time the dog barks. We can make it inaudible for humans so the dog can still hear it. (We tested this and poor Mali's ears lift up when it goes off) This came complete with a remote control, which I've used to hold it down for seconds at a time every time the dog barks. He barks A LOT. I thought this thing was brilliant when for a few weeks, the barking stopped! I was so excited that I actually misplaced the little remote. We had not needed it and I was thrilled.

This weekend, it started again. I held down the button over and over again. I think I'm convinced it's a new dog or he really isn't that smart.

Got suggestions? I'm all over any new idea. I haven't gone over to talk to my neighbors yet, but that's next... With our house hunt stalling out, I don't want to rock the boat. We may be here for a bit longer.

3 comments:

Alyce said...

kidnap the dog and give it to a family that will actually pay attention to it.
When my dog barks, I go to see why and get him to stop. Your neighbors should do the same.

tigercrush said...

oh, i know this issue all too well! one of our neighbors has a new barker. most dogs bark out because they are anxious or bored. you could try throwing toys over the fence...this might also give the people that live there a hint. but don't be afraid to mention the issue, either. if my roommate lived alone, he would have *no* idea that sometimes his dog is....well...FUCKING LOUD...to put it uh, delicately. when my neighbors finally came and said something to him about it, I think he hadn't realized it was an ongoing problem for anyone. good luck!

Sara said...

Shaunna,
I'll let you borrow my dogs, they'll bark back and give them a taste of their own medicine! I think they can hang with the most annoying.