Monday, February 1, 2010

Date Night .. Finally!

It’s been way too long since Heath and I took some time away just to enjoy each other. Instead of asking him the questions I typically do – do you want to plan a night out? Where do you want to go? Should we eat and do a movie? Who should watch the baby? – I took the reins and organized our early evening away. Heath was surprised to learn that P.D. (aka Nonny) would be coming to stay with Luke Saturday evening. While they played, we headed into Austin to check out a new place I heard about.

The High Ball was so fun… bowling, karaoke, restaurant, skee ball... all while you feel as though you stepped back in time. It was almost as if we were in Old Hollywood and at any moment Marilyn or Sinatra would be right around the corner. We got there to learn it would be an hour wait to bowl so we headed over to the restaurant side to have dinner. It was an interesting menu, which typically means Heath gives me the “what on earth am I going to eat?” look and I have trouble deciding b/c it all looks good. The choices were a throwback to a simpler era but with a twist. Heath opted for the chicken fried pork steak sandwich and I got the Meatloaf Sammy. Just as we were enjoying our post dinner drinks, we got the call that our lane was ready. Reminder that we are in fact in 2010 ... they just take your phone number to call you when your lane is ready. No pager, no intercom ... just an assumption that everyone has a cell phone.

We headed over to pick up our shoes and found out we’d be on lane 8. This would be the far right lane where everyone stands to watch the bowlers. SUCH PRESSURE!! At least this is what I blamed my bad performance on and not the fact that I was drinking a very strong Roseberry Fizz Cocktail. ;) We played two games in our hour of bowling and had such a great time. It was old school bowling so nothing was automated. We tallied our own score … on paper! Despite the fact that I lost both games, I had a great time. Mostly, I enjoyed spending time with my husband doing something fun. Just the two of us.

2 comments:

Alyce said...

Date night is awesome! I need to go check out the High Ball. We're doing our anniversary show there on March 26th, but I've never even seen the venue!

Melissa said...

You are such a great mom! Glad you got to enjoy some alone time :). We are overdue for a date night.