Monday, July 19, 2010

Goodbyes and My Silver Lining

Today, I watched another dear friend say good-bye to her mom. It was heart wrenching and inspiring all at once. Frances O'Gorman Wilson Thompson left a legacy of big welcoming smiles and a generous heart that touched so many. Hearing her family say their goodbyes left me wanting to be a better person. If there can be a silver lining in a loss, this one for me was that I do feel inspired .. inspired to pass it on and be a more generous and loving person. As I sat there watching Fran's two daughters and son, I can only hope to be half the woman and mother she was.

I am beyond grateful to still have my mom and ashamed that I don't call her more often. I should tell her how much I love her every time we talk and how much she means to me. As much as I hate to admit it, I know that one day it will be me in that front row of a church saying my goodbyes to the woman who shaped the one I am today.

To those moments in our life that make us want to make a change .. today was one for me. I am ready to begin that journey to become the person I was meant to be so that one day, my children will be proud to call me their mom.

1 comment:

Julie said...

You should have had a warning at the beginning of this post that I would be in tears by the end of it! ;) And BTW, I'm pretty sure your girls are already proud to call you their mom!!!