It's been so long since I had a newborn in my life, I think I really forgot just how wonderful it is. There are days where we don't accomplish much and times like now where I sit here letting him sleep on my chest simply because I don't want to put him down. I love the way he smells and his little sounds almost as much as I love the way he snuggles into me as he dreams. And what exactly does he dream about?!? No matter how many babies I've had and even after months of pregnancy, I am amazed at this bond that is built in these first few weeks. While he grew inside of me, there was a connection, but it's all so surreal and quite honestly, the focus was on what I couldn't have, what I couldn't do and how uncomfortable it all was. It's not until he is here in my arms and such a huge part of my life, that I have truly connected to this little being. The middle of the night feedings, the many, many diapers and learning to interpret his cries is what makes him so incredibly special to me.
And to think we worry as parents if we can possibly love a new baby as much as we love our first children. Just like I've always told my girls ... a mom's heart just gets bigger and has more room with each new child. In this same way, I must admit my wonder if I could love a boy as much as my girls. In many ways, falling in love with Luke has only reminded me of this same time with my girls. As I fondly recall these moments with Nicole and Paige, it helps me see through the more trying moments of today. So, just as I thought I had lost my mind to start over again, I realize the brilliance of this timing ... I will certainly need the reminders of my love in these next few years!
While I could go on for days about how crazy I am about this new little man in my life, I may have three other people competing for the "who loves Luke the most" award. Let's just say that he's a hit in this house, but it's kinda quiet at 3am. In all seriousness, his daddy is head over heels in love and I could have another post about nothing more than just how much he's devoted to this boy, but this is my blog after all.
In lieu of actual newborn photos, Heath and I shot a few of our own. You may have seen some of these on facebook ...

What's with all the pictures, Mom?
2 comments:
Oh he is so precious! Love the ones in the teeny tiny suit!
He is sooo sweet. . . . and you're right. . . I fell in love with my kiddos over and over again each time I held them.
As for him being a big boy. . . a friend's sister gave birth to a 12 pound baby boy . . . carried to 40 weeks. Crazy!!
Post a Comment