Monday, August 10, 2009

And Life Drives On

In the midst of bringing Luke into this world, our lives have not been put on hold. My sweet baby girl, Nicole, started driving classes the same week he was born. Here she is with her certificate showing that she tested and was eligible to get her permit on day three ... Luke's birthday.



There was the small problem of misplacing her birth certificate in the move, having to order a new one online, and being in the hospital that same day she was elligible to get her permit. It took a several days to get the birth certificate in. The same day it was delivered, we went to the Gtown DMV to get her permit. I've never been there with more than 5 people in line in front of me, so I expected it to be a quick trip. The line wrapped around the small building and was to the door. It took us an hour to make our way to the front of the line only to realize that we forgot her glasses and she did not pass the vision test.

The next morning, Heath took her back to see if the line was shorter in the morning and if they could make their way through the line before her class. No dice. After her class, we all packed up for a family field trip to check out different locations to see if the lines were shorter. We went by the Driver's License office near Anderson and walked right back out .... it looked to be a wait that would take more than 3 hours. Next, we drove over to the location on Lamar and made it through the info line in about 20 minutes ... only to realize we were missing a form that we need from the school. We drove to the high school to get the form before driving back to the driver's license office to wait in the line once more. Heath waited this time while I fed Luke in the car. They made it through the line and Nicole took her test by the time I made it in to trade places with Heath.
3rd location was the key ...

Mission Accomplished!
and now she's behind the wheel ...


I like to keep things interesting ... have a baby and teach my other kid to drive. You know, all in the same two weeks. In reality, getting her to and from classes and through the ordeal of getting her permit would not have been possible without Heath's help and also my mom's while we were in the hospital. Regardless, our lives drive on :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

The timing of this event is ironic for me. JUST LAST NIGHT I was going through some photos and I found some of Nicole as a baby!! Now look at her... wow.

Courtney ;-) said...

Yea, Nicole!!!! Congrats! :)

Alyce said...

OH NOES!
I mean... HOORAY!!

Rose said...

So does she have her permit or her license? I'm so confused. . although a permit IS a license just with a restriction.

Congrats, Momma! You've done good!