Monday, January 4, 2010

Ode to a Working Mom

So ... It’s not really an Ode, but let me just say that I have a new found respect for all the working moms I know. This stuff is HARD!! What's funny is that I've held that title for ten years now. (Hard to believe I've been with the company for that long!) This was my first maternity leave and being a working mom to two teenagers and an infant is more difficult than I could have imagined. I have so much help between my very "hands on" husband, Luke's eager big sisters and a flexible work schedule. Yet, it’s still very difficult to juggle all that we have to do these days now that I’m back at work. I can’t believe this is my 11th week back! I have been back just about as long as I was out. The holidays have come and gone and now we're starting a new year.

I keep saying that I’m not doing any one thing well. Thus the lack of blogs, missed doctors appointments, take out for dinner and one very messy house. Most days there is just not enough of me to go around. For the record, three kids is harder to manage than two! Ha ha … as if we didn’t all know that. If I could get by on very little to no sleep, this would certainly help my cause. Most things will get done … late and messy, perhaps, but the box will get checked!

There are some great things about being a working mom despite the difficulties. As I ring in the new year, and try to find out how to become independently wealthy, I will keep reminding myself of the positive side of things:

  • Someone else will clean my toilets (b/c the maid is coming back!)
  • I get to justify shopping for new clothes and shoes
  • I am "perfecting" my organizational skills
  • My lunches with friends - one of my favorite "my time" moments!
  • My human calendar abilities are returning
  • A new year means my vacation clock has just started all over again!
  • Luke is well adjusted and very social
  • I get to talk to adults while someone else changes the poopy diapers


Here I am with my glass half full ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you're blogging again. You've been missed!!! Glad that being back at work is going well. Good to see your smiling face!! Enjoy the glasses of wine...even if they are only half filled. Ha! :) xoxo

Julie said...

I love your glass 1/2 full!! Very good way to describe the challenges of being a working mom! AND, I'm glad your maid found her way back. :)

Alyce said...

Well, the world won't end if the laundry doesn't get done for 3 days! (if I'm wrong, I'm in a world of trouble!)
You do what you can, and the rest can just take a back seat! :)

tigercrush said...

Your picture is adorable! And I am very impressed wtih your juggling. Are there actually parents that don't frequently have messy houses? I have adult roommates and I struggle with that ;)